All of us must have been bitten by ants at some point in time, but the seriousness of ant bites depends on the type of ants. If you have been bitten by the run of the mill ordinary ants, then there is usually nothing to worry about. Apart from a small welt and a bit of itching, there is not much to deal with.
On the other hand, if the bites are from any of the more dangerous ants, then they can cause serious damage. One of the worst ant bites are from fire ants. These ants are notorious and very harmful.
They are called fire ants because the area where they bite starts to hurt and burn. They are extremely aggressive and will attack immediately if their nest is disturbed. Besides posing health threats to humans and animals, they have also been known to destroy homes, farms, structures and other things.
You can get fire ant bites even if you simply move around their nests as they are very sensitive to movement. That is why children often get bitten by fire ants when they are outdoors.
Symptoms of fire ant bites:
If you are allergic to ants, you should be very careful if bitten by fire ants and treat them immediately. Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction to fire ant bites or stings include sweating, pale skin, shortness of breath and swelling. Anaphylactic shock can also occur.
If you encounter any of these symptoms due to fire ant bites, it is very important to seek medical attention as quickly as possible.
Do not scratch, squeeze or pop the swelling that forms following an ant bite. This may increase the chances of scarring and push the infection deeper into the skin.
If you have allergic reactions to fire ant bites, you should immediately consult your doctor and seek medical treatment. If these allergic reactions are not treated in a timely manner, they may cause major health issues, or even lead to death.